• 101 : Police non-emergency number

    Norfolk Constabulary is supporting a Home Office campaign reminding the public that they should call 101 if they need to contact their local police for non-emergency issues.

    More than three quarters of 999 calls received by the police are for non-emergencies, such as people reporting crimes that are no longer in progress (for example discovering that their home has been burgled or their vehicle has been stolen), or wanting to discuss anti-social behaviour in their local area.

    101 is an easy-to-remember number for the public to call the police, and is designed to reduce the number of non-emergency 999 calls. This allows the police to respond more quickly to genuine emergencies, such as when someone is in immediate danger, a crime is happening right now, or a suspect for a serious crime is nearby.


    Launched in 2012, 101 covers all police forces across the UK and has replaced individual forces’ local numbers. A call to 101 costs just 15 pence no matter how long your call is. Not only is this cheaper than some forces’ local numbers, the single rate for every call means you know exactly how much your call will cost.

  • UK Power Networks – assistance during power cuts

    Do you need extra support during a power cut or do you know someone else that would need extra support? If so, sign up to our free register.

    By joining the register, you will receive:
    ✔ A priority phone number that you can call 24 hours a day and regular updates until your power is back on
    ✔ A welcome pack with useful advice about preparing for a power cut
    ✔ Regular text message updates if you text ‘Power’ followed by your postcode to 80876
    ✔ Extra support from the British Red Cross

    Who can apply
    • Customers who are dependent on medical equipment
    • Customers who are chronically ill
    • Customers with a disability
    • Customers who are visually impaired or blind
    • Customers who are hearing impaired or deaf
    • Elderly customers
    • A nursing or residential home
    • Customers with young babies in household
    • Any other case that you would like us to consider

    Click here to apply

  • Cemetery extension

    Broadland District Council have today turned down the request for a Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) for one acre of land north of the current cemetery.  This is very disappointing and raises the question as to where residents will be buried once the current cemetery is full.


  • Equal Opportunities Policy


    Adopted in 2012, due for review in March 2016

  • Attending parish council meetings

    Notes for the public attending

    Parish Council Meetings

    Acle Parish Council welcomes the public to its meetings. In fact by law, members of the public must be admitted to all meetings of the full council and its committees, (although the public can be excluded, for some decisions).  However, the law does not allow members of the public to take part in the debates.

    This Parish Council, like many other parish and town councils in England and Wales, gives members of the public an opportunity to speak at some point during the meeting. We do this by temporarily adjourning the meeting.  This allows the public, and our District and County Councillors, an opportunity to speak.

    For Acle Parish Council, this opportunity is at the beginning of every meeting. Please use this opportunity to raise issues or concerns about village matters.  If you wish to make a point about an item appearing later on in the meeting, for example about a planning application, then you should inform the chairman during the public forum and ask whether you will be permitted to speak during that later item, or whether you should speak during the public forum.  The councillors have the power to adjourn the meeting to permit members of the public to speak if they feel it is more useful to consider the public’s comments at the time of the agenda item.

    If you wish to raise a point which does not relate to an item on the evening’s agenda, you are very welcome to do so. However, the council’s discussion of the point might have to be delayed until a subsequent meeting as the council is unable to make a decision binding in law, (this is particularly relevant to financial decisions,) unless a specific item is included on the agenda for the meeting.  A councillor, or the clerk, may be able to answer your question at the time or may have to contact you following the meeting.

    Members of the Council are always willing to discuss topics put forward by the public. Our agenda is prepared about a week before the next monthly council meeting so you will need to inform the clerk or chairman about 10 days before the meeting, if you want an item included.  Although this might seem a long time in advance, the council is required by law to publicise its agenda at least three clear days before each meeting, not including the day of issue or the day of the meeting.

    We hope that you will find the meeting useful and if you have any queries please contact the clerk, Pauline James, on

    01493 – 751070 or [email protected].

    You can read the minutes for previous meetings at:





    Acle Parish Council

  • Budget for 2016/17

    The parish council set its budget for 2016/17 at the council meeting on 14th December 2015.

    The parish council pays for the upkeep of the cemetery, most street lights, the Damgate Lane and Beighton Road play areas, grasscutting around the village, the public toilets in The Street, the Fletcher Room (Pre-School building), hanging baskets and street furniture such as benches and grit bins. The council employs a part-time parish clerk and a part-time cleaner.

    As well as the day-to-day costs of running the parish, the council is also keen to build up reserves for the future repair and replacement of parish assets.

    In order to meet these requirements it was agreed to increase the precept to £83,950, an increase of 15% on last year. This will be collected by Broadland District Council as part of your council tax from April and works out as an average total of £87 for the year for a band D home, or £7.25 per month.

    The sale proceeds from the land north of Springfield can only be spent on the purchase of other assets or capital items and cannot be used for day-to-day running costs.

  • Handyperson+ Service

    The new Handyperson+ Service can carry out a range of small household repairs and minor adaptations to qualifying residents in the Broadland district.

    A trained handyperson can assist and enable beneficiaries to live independently. The service includes access to a range of household checks to ensure the beneficiaries safety and warmth.  The handyperson will also provide information, advice and guidance and can support and refer the beneficiary to other help available e.g. community activities, home help and companionship services, advocacy, benefit claims, health and legal services or financial management.

    Who’s it for?

    The service is available for anyone over 65 years old but will be specifically promoted to older people with long-term health conditions including those diagnosed with dementia.

    How much does it cost?

    • It’s free to those on means tested benefits
    • If you’re not in receipt of means tested benefits, the charge will be £15 per hour, up to a maximum of £30 per visit
    • Materials will be charged for unless grant eligible

    what to do next…

    • Contact the Private Sector Housing Team at Broadland District Council to find out whether your job qualifies for the scheme
      • If you qualify we will log your call
      • You will then be contacted to arrange a suitable time to assess your job and, if the materials are available, carry out the work

    further information

    Basic maintenance jobs include:

    • Exterior works eg. clearing out single storey guttering
    • Low level maintenance work of fixtures and fittings eg. putting up a shelf, fixing a sticking door, changing a light bulb, installing curtain rails or assembling furniture
    • Basic repairs eg. fixing a dripping tap or replacing broken toilet seat
    • Decorating eg. minor paint work
    • Insulation eg. draught proofing or installing a hot water tank jacket
    • We can arrange free home fire risk assessments and smoke alarm fitting
    • Minor aids and adaptations eg. fitting hand grab rails, keysafes, providing access ramps and some assistance technology
    • The advice and installation of care communication equipment, which provide a 24 hour monitoring service for added peace of mind

    external links

    age uk norfolk

    contact BDC

    Private Sector Housing Team
    Broadland District Council
    Thorpe Lodge
    1 Yarmouth Road
    Thorpe St Andrew
    Norwich NR7 0DU
    tel: 01603 430518
    fax: 01603 430616
    email: [email protected]
Cookies For Comments Image