The Surviving Winter Appeal
Helping older people in Norfolk stay warm and safe this winter
For the past 3 years, Age UK Norfolk have worked with the Norfolk Community Foundation over the autumn and winter months to administer the Surviving Winter Appeal. We are doing so again this year.
The idea is that those who receive, but do not depend upon, the Government Winter Fuel Payment might prefer to give some or all of it to someone who needs it more than they do. Even if you don’t receive a Winter Fuel Payment you can still make a donation of any size.
Over the 3 years since the appeal began, 970 grants totalling £156,499 have been given to support older people who are in need of help with their energy bills or their domestic heating systems.
Helping older people living in fuel poverty
Heat or eat is a reality for many older people. Simply keeping warm in the colder weather can be a challenge for many vulnerable older people due to poverty and inadequate housing, leading to preventable health issues. Many older people are dreading the cold weather and will have to choose between heating their home and eating a meal.
- Each winter one older person dies every 7 minutes from the cold weather
- Over a third of older people say they live mainly in one room to save money
- 1.7 million older people can’t afford to heat their homes
- In winter 2011 to 2012, there were over 300 winter deaths among people over 85 years of age living in Norfolk.
Key messages to keep warm and protect your health are:
- Keep your living room temperature at 70⁰F (21⁰C)
- Keep your bedroom at 65⁰F (18⁰C)
- Keep your bedroom window closed at night when the weather is cold
- Make sure you wrap up well when going out in the cold.
Donate to the Surviving Winter Appeal
By Text: Donate by text from any UK network via JustTextGiving: Simply send a text message to 70070 including the campaign code NFCF11 followed by the amount £2, £5 or £10 (max).
By Post Please make cheques payable to the Norfolk Community Foundation and post to: ‘Surviving Winter Appeal’, Norfolk Community Foundation, St James Mill, Whitefriars, Norwich, NR3 1TN
At Barclays Bank You can donate at Barclays Bank using the following details: Reference: Surviving Winter Appeal Sort Code: 20-62-53 Bank Account Number: 03282503
For many local older people, your donation to the Surviving Winter Appeal is vital in helping them stay warm and healthy this winter.
Receiving Support from the Surviving Winter Appeal
To apply for a Surviving Winter grant, please contact Age UK Norfolk on 0300 500 1217.